- IANA name:
- GnuTLS name:
- Hex code:
- 0xC0, 0x16
- TLS Version(s):
- TLS1.0, TLS1.1, TLS1.2, TLS1.3
- Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- Key Exchange:
- Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman (ECDH)
- Anonymous (anon)
- Rivest Cipher 4 with 128bit key (RC4 128)
- HMAC Secure Hash Algorithm 1 (SHA)
- Included in RFC:
This key exchange algorithm does not support Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) which is recommended, so attackers cannot decrypt the complete communication stream.
Anonymous key exchanges are generally vulnerable to Man in the Middle attacks.
IETF has officially prohibited RC4 for use in TLS in RFC 7465. Therefore, it can be considered insecure.
The Secure Hash Algorithm 1 has been proven to be insecure as of 2017 (see shattered.io).