- IANA name:
- Hex code:
- 0xC0, 0x75
- TLS Version(s):
- TLS1.2, TLS1.3
- Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- Key Exchange:
- Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman (ECDH)
- Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA)
- CAMELLIA with 256bit key in Cipher Block Chaining mode (CAMELLIA 256 CBC)
- HMAC Secure Hash Algorithm 384 (SHA384)
- Included in RFC:
This key exchange algorithm does not support Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) which is recommended, so attackers cannot decrypt the complete communication stream.
In 2013, researchers demonstrated a timing attack against several TLS implementations using the CBC encryption algorithm (see isg.rhul.ac.uk). Additionally, the CBC mode is vulnerable to plain-text attacks in TLS 1.0, SSL 3.0 and lower. A fix has been introduced with TLS 1.2 in form of the GCM mode which is not vulnerable to the BEAST attack. GCM should be preferred over CBC.