- IANA name:
- OpenSSL name:
- GnuTLS name:
- Hex code:
- 0xC0, 0x09
- TLS Version(s):
- TLS1.0, TLS1.1, TLS1.2, TLS1.3
- Transport Layer Security (TLS)
- Key Exchange:
- PFS Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman Ephemeral (ECDHE)
- Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm (ECDSA)
- Advanced Encryption Standard with 128bit key in Cipher Block Chaining mode (AES 128 CBC)
- HMAC Secure Hash Algorithm 1 (SHA)
- Included in RFC:
In 2013, researchers demonstrated a timing attack against several TLS implementations using the CBC encryption algorithm (see isg.rhul.ac.uk). Additionally, the CBC mode is vulnerable to plain-text attacks in TLS 1.0, SSL 3.0 and lower. A fix has been introduced with TLS 1.2 in form of the GCM mode which is not vulnerable to the BEAST attack. GCM should be preferred over CBC.
The Secure Hash Algorithm 1 has been proven to be insecure as of 2017 (see shattered.io).